Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Otow Orchards Revisited - Persimmons

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Dan and I returned to Otow Orchards in Granite Bay for another look at the Persimmon trees and to witness the ancient art of Hoshigaki.




Pictured above is Chris Otow Kuratomi, demonstrating the massaging of drying persimmons.


Some of the trees were beautiful in orange leaves. Others left the nice contrast of bright green leaves.

Hoshigaki - the ancient art of drying persimmons. Chris told us that during the drying season, people hang these persimmons everywhere, from windows, doorways, inside, outside, etc. The Japanese children, she says, think they will never dry persimmons when they grow up! I'm glad that Chris kept the tradition alive. Otow's ship Hoshigaki to other markets.


Dan and I caught the tail end of a tour that was in process as the owners demonstrated tying and drying persimmons and spoke in the orchard. We only heard pieces as we walked around and took pictures.

Colorful persimmon trees.







No comments: