Monday, May 17, 2010

Road Trip Recap - Days 1 and 2

Wednesday, April 28 and Thursday, April 29, 2010: Our trip began with a long boring drive on I-5 through California where the highlights are the real CA cows in factory farms and the advertised CA cows on green grassy hillsides. We have both. Water is a political issue in CA - always was. Draught was here long before crops were but irrigation and water rights are always at issue here. They say the Delta is being polluted, Mono Lake is drying up, smelt are being killed in the Delta's water flow...the arguments go on and on. That once naked land along I-5 now produces a large percentage of our country's food, if not the world's.


I'm not sure whether the bugs on the windshield in the picture above were in CA or AZ. Maybe they were CA bugs carried into AZ. The picture below looks like it was taken at the CA and AZ border near Kingman . Looks like an evening glow.

Below is an unusually beautiful sighting of some Arizona cows just outside Kingman on the second day of our tour. We had a little extra time that day so decided to backtrack a bit on part of the Historic Route 66, traveling as far as Oatman before turning back to Kingman. I believe this is the beautiful highway that was depicted in the animated movie, "Cars". We really enjoyed it's beautiful desert vistas, wild burros, and historic mining towns. A few shots are shown here, and some burro shots were shown earlier.















The burro below was crossing the road in front of us. Dan spotted it first and it almost got out of sight before I got my camera focused on it.






Later in the day we drove east on I-40 to Flagstaff where I drove through some snow. We turned south on 89A heading into Sedona and Cottonwood. Since I was driving, this is one of the few pictures I got of the scenic canyon we drove through near Sedona. We had snow in Flagstaff, but temperatures were still above freezing, so it didn't collect on the highway.
Here is a sign of the political times in Arizona. Their governor was brave enough to confront opposition and pass regulations to enforce US immigration laws and help solve some of the problems they are having with illegal immigration. Protestors were on the corners, not that I want to glorify them.

No comments: