Monday, May 17, 2010

Southwest Tour - Days 3 and 4 - Sedona

Honanki Cliff Dwelling remains near Sedona:



Chapel built on the red rocks of Sedona:
The chapel above is strictly for tourists. It is amazingly built into the rocks and overlooks a lavish vacation home owned by an inventor of laser instruments (shown below).
Below: Airport Vortex

Above is Dan in the beige jacket, as he climbed the Airport Vortex, famed for it's New Age energy. I think it killed my computer battery. I chose to stay at lower levels to enjoy the fragile botanicals, some of which are shown below.







When rock is all you got, you use it for fence posts and sign posts rather than digging as shown below.Sedona is home to the only green "golden" arches in the world. Their building codes forbade the use of yellow arches. Architecture has to blend into the landscape. I understand those rules were formed by Walt Disney when he was filming in the area.
Below are a few houses that blend:


The restaurant above blends into the bright red rocks in it's background. It also served us some great Prickly Pear Cactus Fries with Cactus flower dip.
The building below is not an example of blending. It represents to me the biggest thing I didn't like about Sedona. It seems to have drawn a large community of New Agers. In some places I could feel the "energy" or vibes very strongly and I didn't like it at all.


Below, some of the scenery around Sedona.



Stuck on you:


Someone had fun building the duck below:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the picts. Looks like some beautiful areas you guys visited. Alot different than Indiana. :-) Jessie