Friday, June 26, 2009

Metamora, Indiana and the Whitewater Canal

June 6, 2009 - Metamora, Indiana and the Whitewater Canal

Ice Cream Shop in Metamora

Demonstration of making waffle cones. This man drops a candy kiss in the bottom of each one (instead of the usual marshmallow) so that everyone who eats an ice cream waffle cone can say they have been kissed.




The operating Grist Mill and water wheel






Earlier in the year I sketched a couple of fire hydrants. I got hooked on it, so now I watch for the variety in fire hydrants and snap pictures when I travel through towns and cities. This Metamora hydrant is one of the older ones I've seen.




June 6 is Strawberry time in Indiana. I always remember that because it was my grandfather's birthday. His special honor was always to have the first strawberry shortcake of the season. This bowl of berries actually does have shortcake at it's bottom.






A more authentic version of a canal boat is dry docked in the lawn of one of the homes.







A team of horses draw the tourist bearing canal boat.



Alongside the canal, a passenger train carries other tourists.












There were so many wild flowers and butterflies along the hiking trail.












This lock is designed to move the canal boat through waters of changing levels of elevation.














































































Clover Blossom - When I was a kid I used to pick the little pestles from the blossom and suck the sweet from the tender end of them.















We got to Metamora before the town was awake, so we hiked the trail for a couple of miles and returned to the town in time for a lunch of ice cream and strawberry shortcake.





















This is an aquaduct, designed to transfer the canal boats across a river that was of a lower elevation.


















































































Interesting buildings.






















No comments: