Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lake Solano Peacock


From my Sketchbook
August 27, 2009
Yesterday, Rebecca and I went to Lake Salano County Park near Winters, CA. I wanted some better pictures of the peacocks that roam the campground. Ooops! Wrong time of year. Peacocks have already shed their tail feathers. On the upside, we were better able to focus on their beautiful faces and crowns. With all the kiddies back in school and only a few campers on the grounds, the park rangers had a bit of time to tell us a little about the wildlife in the area. The main thing I learned is that peacocks roam the park and two surrounding ranches in hunt of baby rattlesnakes. That keeps the rattlesnake population under control. Baby rattlesnakes are the most dangerous to humans because they don't control their venom when they bite the way adult rattlers do, and that can mean instant death to a human. They don't seem to bother the peacocks. This sketch was looking pretty good until I messed it up when painting the background.

No comments: