Thursday, August 6, 2009

Watercolor Samples Notebook

Created Wednesday, August 5, 2009:
I've been planning this Watercolor Samples Notebook for a long, long time. Now I have finally started it! Here are my first three pages. The real stimulus was buying a new sable paintbrush. Why had I never done that before. It is like - WOW - now I can be a real watercolor painter! It is so great for fine line detail, for holding the water and pigment so the paint can flow properly. Amazing what the difference is. Now, I wish my 5.5" x 8.5" paper was Arches so I would have some of the best quality all around. Maybe I'll cut some for future use.

The color samples below are done from various limited palette samples using different triadic colors. Jeannie Vodden made a beautiful sample sheet once for a watercolor class. I could never do the beautiful work she does, or know how to use the limited palette the way she does, but that is where my idea for this sample book began.
The first page shows a variety of colors made by mixing Winsor Yellow, Permanent Rose, and Manganese Blue together.In this sample, I mixed Yellow Ochre, Indian Red, and Manganese Blue. Gives a nice variety of fall colors, doesn't it?

This last sample is a little more wintery. It mixes Bismuth Yellow, Winsor Red, and Winsor Blue (Red Shade).
Too much fun for one day, huh?




No comments: