Sunday, August 9, 2009

Two Color Complementary Palette

I'm always amazed with the variety of "colors" one can get from two complementary hues. The sample above shows French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. Putting them together, I quickly painted the picture below using Winsor Newton's French Ultramarine Blue and Daniel Smith's Quinacridone Burnt Orange, which is similar to burnt sienna, but a bit brighter. When I went to find a new panel, I was out of Aquaboard, and picked up a smooth clayboard panel instead. Watercolor doesn't absorb into the smooth surface, so the choice was a mistake. Maybe I could sand the surface before using it? I'll try that some other time. Anyway, my apologies for sloppy. We'll just call it a watercolor "sketch" of a ship at sunset in the Straights of Mackinac, Michigan. See what two colors can do.

Ship in Sunset (2 color complementary palette)
Watercolor on Clayboard
5" x 7"
August 9, 2009

No comments: